Monday, February 15, 2010

Bagels



I was afraid these bagels might not turn out because I ran out of white flour and so made these using more than 50% whole wheat flour (I almost always make doughs using 50-50 white/whole wheat flours, but I didn't want to get too carried away). The dough came out a little dense, but really the bagels weren't bad. After boiling them in sugar water, I baked them for half an hour in the oven. A bit involved, but they're so lovely and chewy with that glossy outer crust. Well worth the trouble.

3 comments:

  1. you really went to town! these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's the sugar water part for? for sweetness or is that typical with bagels? They really do look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know! I was wondering. I wasn't sure if it some grandmotherly superstition (i.e., always throw some sugar into the water), or something to do with...chemical reactions? They're not sweet at all. Maybe the sugar helps give them gloss when they bake? I didn't have any white sugar, as called for, so I used brown :)

    ReplyDelete