Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kyrie Eleison



Kyrie Eleison: "The first acclamation in the Ordinary of the Latin Mass, sung directly after the introit. The basic text, which is Greek, consists of ‘Kyrie eleison’ (three times), ‘Christe eleison’ (three times), ‘Kyrie eleison’ (three times): ‘Lord, have mercy ... Christ, have mercy ... Lord, have mercy’. The phrase ‘Kyrie eleison’ was used in Eastern and Western litanies from at least the 4th and 5th centuries, and St Gregory the Great (pope 590-604) is credited with establishing its use together with ‘Christe eleison’ in the Roman Mass. By the 10th century the ninefold shape was established" (Taken from the Music Encyclopedia).

To hear Puccini's Kyrie, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj7ZmevJgbw.

3 comments:

  1. Like the shot of the music! perhaps you could photograph the trouble sections and we could sing together over the phone! There's an idea! How did the choir practice go last night, any better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, choir was disastrous. I think this may be too hard for me at the moment. I can't hear myself through the roar, nor could I hear the girl mumbling beside me. I DID hear the sopranos, and some lovely tenor. Phooey!! Oh, we moved on to the Gloria (terrific).

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep with it! you'll be required to sing me a rendition next time i see you. we can take parts and sing our hearts out!

    ReplyDelete