Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Desiccated Paleofecal Matter

And a week later, I provide you this fascinating word of the week to make up for absence last week:

"it has been found that many organic remains can survive surprisingly well after their journey through the human digestive tract, to await the intrepid analyst of desiccated paleofecal matter (often wrongly called coprolites, which means fossilized/petrified excrement)." p. 311 of Archaeology: Theories, Methods, and Practice, 5th ed. Colin Renfrew and Paul Bahn.

I am DONE learning about how faunal remains survive the vagaries of time to end up on the microscope of an "intrepid analyst" studying ancient poop. This sentence has finished me off for the night.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahahaha! the intrepid poop analyst! ah, this would finish me off, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad i haven't completely lost my mind, or that at least i'm not alone in losing it. :)

    ReplyDelete