Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow

Snow: 1. precipitation falling from clouds in the form of ice crystals 2. a layer of snowflakes covering the ground 3. verb: fall as snow "It snowed straight for the last three days. I'm tired of snow snowing."

Synonyms: 1. of adjective snowy: nival, niveous 2. of noun: blizzard, firn, grauple, snowstorm

Further definitions:
grauple: snow pellets or small hail
firn: partially compacted neve, a type of snow leftover from previous snows and compacted into a denser substance, or recrystallization of snow.
nival: (returned results in German. Hmm.)
niveous: snowy, resembling snow

2 comments:

  1. The "nival" bit is interesting, especially the German results because I'm guessing it's Latinate (Spanish: "nieve"). Also, I DO remember the word for snow in German (only because it's so simple): Schnee. So, do elaborate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, "firn" is really interesting, too (well, they all are. I mean, when did you last hear someone say "grauple"?). There's a place in BC called Firney, though I'm not sure how to spell it, and I wonder...could they be related?

    ReplyDelete