Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hibiscus!


When I approached my designated spot in the community gardens in my apartment complex, I found I'd inherited several plants started by my predecessors in Garden Plot #32. The bamboo stand was immediately recognizable, though dried out and faltering. Other plants remained a mystery, including this bush, which with some water started to show green sprouts on its dry twiggy branches. Friday, one of the small red buds finally burst into action and I was extremely pleased to find myself the caretaker for a hibiscus bush. There are two other mystery plants left in the garden, including some kind of bramble twisted up with the hibiscus and a taller vine-like plant. Some kind of green leafy plant is not a complete mystery, with bright orange flowers that attract hummingbirds, I just don't know its name. I've planted bulbs and greens and carrots in the garden, and will update with pictures here as they finally grow into existence!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty. It looks like an altogether warmer place in CA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (although, my mom's flowers have continued blooming, here, too--it's been such a warm winter)

    ReplyDelete